Exploring Israel: Should you get an Israeli passport stamp?

by Chris on May 19, 2010

To stamp or not to stamp: should you get an Israeli passport stamp when you visit Israel?

Before my trip to Israel last week, I wondered if I should allow immigration officials to put an Israeli stamp in my passport.

It’s not that I didn’t want the stamp, which is partially written in Hebrew, as a souvenir.  I love collecting passport stamps and am genuinely disappointed when immigration control merely swipes the card. And now that I’ve been to Israel once, I can’t wait to go back and explore more of the country with my husband as an independent traveler (my visit was sponsored by the Israel Ministry of Tourism).

But some Arab and Muslim countries, such as Syria and Lebanon, still restrict and deny entry to travelers who have the stamp. A friend of mine who does frequent consulting work in Saudi Arabia warned that the Kingdom has the same philosophy; many employees at her international company who work in both Israel and Arab countries have two passports to get around the problem.

To stamp or not to stamp raises some ethical issues. I do believe in the existence of Israel, and hope that a peaceful resolution can be found for the Palestinians living in the West Bank and on the Gaza Strip. It bothers me that Arab countries place restrictions on travelers like this, forcing them to choose. Plus the chances of me visiting most of the nations unfriendly to Israel, such as Sudan, Pakistan or Yemen, are unlikely (Jordan and Egypt, which have peace agreements with Israel, welcome travelers with or without the stamp, as does Morocco).

On the other hand, I don’t want to limit my world explorations if I don’t have to. And my latest passport is brand new; I’d hate to have to get a new one if a trip to a different Middle Eastern country came up. My group of five travel writers was split on the issue (two of us decided not to stamp, while the others were OK with it).

In the end, avoiding the stamp was easy. At the passport control booth at Ben Gurion airport outside Tel Aviv, I politely asked the officer not to stamp my book. She stopped and looked at me. “Why don’t you want me to stamp it” she asked.

I told her that as a travel writer, my work often took me to different countries. She told me that while she didn’t have an extra piece of paper, she would stamp an entry card for me.

On the way out, the security personnel at El Al noticed that there wasn’t a stamp and they asked me if I had another passport. But they didn’t hassle me when I told them no, and the immigration official on the way out also complied with my request. No harm, no foul.

I’m curious what other people have done. If you’ve traveled to Israel recently, did you get your passport stamped? Or have you been denied entry to another country because of the stamp?

Review caroundtheworld.com on alexa.com

JoAnna May 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

What a curious situation; I had no idea that other countries wouldn’t allow you entry if you’d been to Israel. I’ve never been in a situation where I had to make a choice like that, but I would so desperately want that stamp for my passport!

It is nice that you did get the stamp anyway, even if it was on an entry card.

Debi May 21, 2010 at 10:33 am

JoAnna – unfortunately there are quite a few countries that won’t let Israeli’s visit, and no small number that won’t let non-Israeli’s visit if they have an Israeli stamp in their passport. Wikipedia has the list, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_passport
Israel, on the other hand, will let almost anyone enter the country as long as they are not seen to be a security risk.

Tom Volpe May 22, 2010 at 3:32 am

Hi Chris, thanks for a really useful post. It’s great that Israeli security are cool about helping people out by not stamping their passports. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation I really want to go to Syria so it’s good to know that I don’t have to avoid Israel during the same trip. Thanks!

Chinamatt May 27, 2010 at 2:12 pm

My friend went through a similar process when he traveled through the Middle East years ago–I think he entered through Jordan and was asked at the border about traveling to other nearby countries after Israel. I never thought about it when I visited. I only thought about that stamp when I visited Malaysia, which does not allow entry to Israelis, but the customs agents in KL didn’t care.

Chris May 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Matt – That’s interesting; I had wondered how Malaysia stood on the issue, as I had read different things. Good to know that a stamp there isn’t a problem!

Chinamatt June 8, 2010 at 8:31 am

It also wasn’t a problem in Indonesia. But that might be because I was getting a visa on arrival in Bali and I was on a tour.

D. October 31, 2010 at 10:20 am

No problems neither on Malaysian nor Indonesian immigration. My passport was stamped by Israelis on a different occasions. In Brunei they only asked whether I was Jewish.

ROBIN February 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Hi Chris,
I am Indian. Had been to Malaysia many times (10) . my next set of work is extensively in the ME countries. I definitely need to go to Israel this June/July. The next couple of years I ll visit ME often. India – it s one – and – only PP. can I go to Jordan get the visa stamped on my PP. go out ot Israel through KHB on a paper stamped visa enter Israel on a paper stamped visa and return to KHB on a paper stamped visa and then go out of Jordan with a stamping on my PP. I have 5 more years for PP expiry. will have to visit 6 ME countries @ least ones each every year for next 5 yrs

Howard Berlin May 31, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Virtually all the (Arab) countries won’t tell you about the Israeli stamp on their embassy/visa web site. In fact many won’t issue visas if you are Jewish. You should call their embassy (for example in Washington DC) and ask the consular officer in the visa section whether or not you will be permitted entry, or issued a visa with an Israeli customs stamp in your passport.

As I have been to Israel more than 12 times, I personally wouldn’t think of going to a country that discriminates on where I have been.

In the 49 countries Ive been to, I’ve been to Morocco, which although does not have diplomatic relations with Israel, at least has a trading relationship with Israel, as does Tunisia.

I was once thinking of going to Doha, Qatar which I’m told will allow U.S. citizens with passports with Israeli stamps to visit, but will not allow Israelis. I canceled the trip. There was an exception made with Israeli tennis players in two tournaments after possible boycotts by the other players. However the Israelis couldn’t go anywhere from their hotel when they were not playing. The Qataris are still hypocrites.

I would not have two U.S. passports for convenience just as I don’t believe in dual citizenship.

Oeiana May 22, 2012 at 12:02 am

Your “no believing in dual citizenship” is as ignorany as discriminatory as the countries that discriminate where you have been! I hold not two but three citizenships because genetically, racially, culturally and legally I am as much Swiss (mother’s side) as I am Colombian (father’s side) as I am and feel American (place of birth and where I grew up). Why should I deny my mother’s or father’s heritage? The languages we speak at home (English, Spanish, German and French) are all in the end part of that cultural heritage I thank both of my parents for. I travel to Israel (lived and studied there for a few years) as Colombian, because with my Colombian passport I don’t need a visa. I travel to Arab countries and Cuba with my Swiss passport without any issues at all, and for the rest of the world, I am a proud American traveller.
What is wrong with that?

Callum December 20, 2012 at 7:35 am

Cool Oeiana!
By the way, those countries don’t allow Israel nationalist to enter their country as a sign of protest to what the Zionist did/are doing to Palestinians. Its good enough that they are protesting through this way rather than attacking Israel itself with guns and missiles.

leb January 24, 2013 at 6:07 am

who is hypocrite, dear friend you are welcome even in lebanon whether u are Jewish or what ever religion u believe in, as long as you dont support killing kids and elderly people u can visit any muslim and arab country with out any restrictions

Caroline G. Keyser June 3, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I went to Israel with a large group, and some of the people didn’t get stamped because they wanted to visit some other Middle Eastern countries afterwards. I got stamped because I love collecting stamps on my passport and wasn’t planning on visiting Syria any time soon. But your post just reminded me of something–I was thinking about a possible vacation to Turkey and Greece, and now I’m going to check around and see if I can figure out whether the stamp would be a problem for Turkey (hopefully it won’t.)

Howard Berlin June 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Travel to Turkey or Greece is not a problem. I have been there with more than 10 Israeli stamps in my passport.

Of course right now with the Turkish ambassador to Israel having being recalled, things are a bit strained over the Gaza situation. But if you have a U.S passport, it may not be a problem though.

My current passport has three sets of additional pages, each 24 pages, besides the original 24 pages and I have still 3 years left before it expires. As you can see, my passport gets stamped a lot :)

Henry February 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

There are zero issues with Turkey or Greece, as Israelis are allowed to enter with their passports to both. American Airlines uses Turkish Airlines plains to connect flights to Israel. Greece is in the European Union therefore has to behave an the entire union.

Manuel Camacho June 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Chris thank you for the post. I am thinking of traveling to Israel soon and wanted to see how likely it was to travel to other Middle Eastern countries.

Most of the discussion has centered around stepping through Israel first and then the neighboring arab countries, but does anyone know if there are any restrictions if I have a Syrian and/or Lebanese stamps on my passports when I reach Israel?

thanks

Howard Berlin June 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm

There is generally no problem going from any Arab country to Israel – as long as the passport control/security personnel considers that you are not any kind of security threat.

Chris June 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Howard – Thanks for weighing in, I was hoping that you would! I would imagine that you might be subject to a few more questions if your passport has a Syrian or Lebanese stamp, but if you aren’t considered a threat, they’d let you in. (not speaking from experience though).

Howard Berlin June 11, 2010 at 12:48 am

Chris:

As you probably remember, Israeli security at the Ben Gurion Airport does most of the questioning of the passengers when you are going to LEAVE the country. This is generally done by profiling – a dirty word here in the U.S., but very effective technique by the Israelis.

Everyone gets a few general questions and based on their response and mannerisms, etc, one may be singled out for further interrogation. As I have seen, unfortunately, it is often those with Arab surnames, Indians, and a few other groups that often get “special” treatment.

However I have also have had to open my checked luggage many times, especially to show them books that were given as gifts given to me by officials of the Bank of Israel or the Israel Museum, even when I show them their business cards, etc. and ask them to call the individuals to verify the books. Or even they wanted to inspect copies of my own books – ones that I had written. I guess they are concerned with books that are “hollowed out” and filled in with contraband. This happens so often that I just take it in stride, knowing that they just have job to do and we all benefit from having a safe flight.

Donna Sud September 5, 2011 at 11:10 am

Howard,
You said that the Israeli Security often give “special treatment” to Indians (among others). My husband is a US naturalized citizen born in India. We are planning a trip to Israel in October as he needs to travel there on business. Is it likely he will be given a hard time while we’re there?
A long time ago we experienced this special treatment in Austria by Israeli Security which is utilized by Austria in the airports. It was very confusing and not just a little scary.
Thanks,

Amsterdam August 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

What is a securtiy threat? is it if you were participating at peace demonstration against any of the wars carried out by Israel against Gaza or Lebanon? This sounds very vague and I was hearing many confusing messages on this that even a lof of Dutch peace activitst are being black-listed at the israeli boarders…Israel is hypcriete!

Mari June 25, 2010 at 10:33 am

Sorry, I would not ever want to visit any country where I would be hated based on the fact that I was born. As a Jewish woman, I think that rules out all Arab countries. One Israli passport stamp, please!

Rod August 3, 2010 at 12:30 am

Mari – you state you would not want to visit any country where you would be hated based on the the fact (country?) where you were born. Did you read the Wiki article quoted earlier listing countries which Israeli passports call “enemy countries”?

Tibi February 15, 2012 at 5:22 am

Hi Mari,

In principle you are right. However, some Arab countries (i.e. Egypt) despite their horrific politics they are literally cultural treasures that I would like to visit despite the current political current. I am grateful to Israel that allows you not to put a stamp in the passport.

Victoria September 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I have just been in Israel in September this year on holiday with my mum. I didn’t know about the fact that Israeli stamp in passport will restrict me in traveling to other countries. I was going to go to Egypt i two weeks with my husband and possibly to Dubai earlier next year. I am Latvian citizen (that is EU). Do you think i will have problem entering Egypt? I would like to stay at Sharm El Sheikh and also visit Pyramids. Shall i try and obtain visa before traveling or better get it on arrival to Sharm El Sheikh? Thank you for your advise.

nn September 21, 2010 at 7:08 pm

you will not have a problem entering Egypt but you might have a prob with Dubai.

Chris September 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm

NN – Thanks for diving in and answering the question above!

Thom October 14, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update, indeed, i’m planning on going to Tel Aviv for a 3 day-weekend and I read on several website that the customs were now reluctant in giving you a stamp on a paper.
So I was scared I would have to say no to further trips in the Middle East until I get a new Passport.
This can be seen as mean to deny access to some countries, but for all the good and bad reasons we know, Israel is in some sort of besieged state, and even with the best mind, you can’t think that it will change anytime soon.
So this is just part of the perpetual “state-of-war” of the region.
All the so called enemy countries gather together to forbid access to their territory to people with this visa, so they think it will turn tourists away from Israel and therfore be bad for Israel’s economy.
So this is finally a logical answer from Israel to act as it does by stamping pieces of paper, even though I kinda think they might change it, with the situation really not getting better. It does sound as if all parties are staying on their point of view and even worsening them. Israel losing its main ally in the region, Turkey, would really weaken them and let them as alone in the middle of the area.

Anyway, no need to talk politics, once again, thanks for the update on this point, and now I can book my flights and hotel to Tel Aviv with a big smile on my face as they still stamp pieces of paper! (my responsibility to be kind enough at the custom booth ;)

Chris October 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Thom – Glad I could help! Thanks for writing, and let me know what happens.

El October 16, 2010 at 9:38 am

Hi
I am an Australian citizen and I am going to be studying for 3 months in Malayasia (if permitted) in 2011. I hope the Malysian Authorities authorize my visa as I have previously been to Israel and had a stamp put in my passport.

Do you guys think I will be able to travel to Malaysia or not?

Sasun November 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I waited until my passport was about to expire to have my trip to Israel, so it would be the last country on it..I love to collect the stamps and wanted it on it as opposed to the paper-stamping option..When I asked to have stamped hard so that it shows (sometimes the ink is sooo light), the officer had a fun time stamping it several times heavily…

MAYA November 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

HI, I HAVEN’T READ ALL THE COMMENTS, BUT I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD COMMENT JUST IN CASE AS I’VE BEEN IN THIS SITUATION AND TRAVELLED ARABIC COUNTRIES AS WELL AS ISRAEL FREQUENTLY. (I HOPE IT’S NOT TOO LATE BUT THIS MIGHT HELP OTHERS)

IN ISRAEL YOU WILL BE LET IN WITH ANY ARABIC STAMPS, BUT YOU WILL BE HELD UP IN SECURITY CHECK FAR LONGER THAN OTHERS (MY OWN EXPERIENCE), BUT THEY WILL LET YOU IN., THIS WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO TO AN ARABIC COUNTRY (ALTHOUGH I WOULD ADVISE TO GO THERE FIRST AND DO THE ISRAEL TRIP LAST), YOU WILL HAVE CONSIDERABLE PROBLEMS. EGYPT AND JORDAN (+ MOROCCO) WILL BE FINE (ALTHOUGH EVEN IN THAT CASE IT IS BETTER TO NOT HAVE ISRAELI STAMPS, THEY WILL BE EXTREMELY HOSTILE!!)

ANY OTHER ARABIC COUNTRY WILL NOT LET YOU IN WITH AN ISRAELI STAMP!
(THERE IS EVEN THE DANGER OF BEING HELD/ARRESTED!)

A FRIEND OF MINE IS A BUSINESSMAN, TRAVELLING ALL OF THE MIDDLE EAST AND HE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE 2 PASSPORTS, ONE FOR ARABIC COUNTRIES AND ONE FOR ISRAEL.

Mike December 4, 2010 at 7:02 am

You most certainly can request not to have an Israeli entry stamp in your passport. If you do get one then some Arab countries will not permit you access to their countries, particularly GCC countries. If you do opt not to have a stamp on entry in Israel, be very carefull to ensure that you do not end up with an Exit stamp when you leave; it happened to me and now that passport is useless to me in the Middle East.

Sara December 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm

You can enter Egypt with an Israeli stamp if you go to Sinai/Red Sea. No restrictions to Israelis are a part of Egypt and Israeli’s peace agreement. You actually don’t need a VISA to go to the Sinai, its a VISA free-zone as part of the peace deals.

Dermot January 7, 2011 at 6:19 am

I have just arrived back from a trip to Israel and Jordan. Like other people before, I was unsure whether getting an Israeli stamp would hinder any future travel plans of mine. So at Ben Gurion, I asked for the stamp on a seperate piece of paper. The officer wasnt the happiest about this, and asked why, but gave me the seperate stamp anyway. Flew to Eilat the next day, and again got a few questions, but no major hassle. Crossing over to Jordan and back again was no major trouble. Asked the same questions, but always got through. But flying from Eilat to Tel Aviv was another story. Got a security personal who basically interrogated me for 45 minutes, going through my camera, and demanded answers to his questions. Granted, it was probably standard security procedures he was following, but was still an unpleasant experience. So, while getting the stamp on a seperate piece of paper is possible, and shouldnt hinder you too much, you may well end up getting some arsehole security person who will take offence at the perceived sleight on his/her country, which will cause you some hassle.

Chris January 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Dermot – Thanks for sharing your experience! We’ve got a good range of answers here, which will be extremely helpful to other travelers who have this same question. Keep them coming!

Katrina April 28, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I have been in Israel twice once for 4 days once for week and both times my passport got stamps.
Right now i bought tickets to the Jordan because i thoght there wont be problems to go there, BUT then somebody told that i will have problems with that and they wont let me in Jordan.
Is that true and what should i do?

Steven May 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Jordan still honors her peace treaty with Israel so going there with an Israeli passport or an Israeli stamp in some other passport will not be a problem. Enjoy!

Tara May 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

If you ask the Israeli Passport Control to not stamp your passport, and they agree to stamp another piece of paper – what is this piece of paper? Can it be any? Does it have to be actual extra passport pages, the entry card, or something else?

Hina August 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

Does anyone know if they stamp your passport if you make a stop in Israel on a cruise? If passports are collected by the ship crew before docking, for mass clearance, how do you request the immigration authorities not to stamp your passport?

Jim November 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been on several cruises and they’ve stopped collecting passports. It’s up to you to a stamp in the countries you vist.

Alan September 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Can anyone tell me whether an israeli stamp on my passport will cause me any trouble getting into Tunisia? I read above that Tunisia has economic ties with Israel, which suggests they have some relationship. I’m going there for work and don’t want to risk any hassle. I may have to get a new passport just incase…

Richard November 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I have recently come back from Israel flying in and out of Tel Aviv. I asked at immigration for them not to stamp my passport, they asked a few questions why, and then let me through. I need to go to other Mid East countries for work on and off, hence don’t want a stamp. On the way out no problem either, just the usual questions about where I was going, why I was there etc etc.

Lisa November 17, 2011 at 4:56 am

Hello,

The comments have been extrememly useful but I am flying out to Israel from the UK on sat and will be travelling alone until I meet my friend there.

Is it safe to ask for your passport not to be stamped, what if you are stopped by police along your trip, could you be seen as being there illegally as you will have no stamp?

I am jut concerned as definitely do not want the stamp as will be travelling elsewhere in the near future but concerned over the consequences.

Chris November 18, 2011 at 12:29 am

Lisa – I don’t think you’ll have a problem. As you can see, it’s fairly common not to have your passport stamped. You can ask for the stamp on a separate piece of paper that you then carry with you for the rest of your trip. You can show that to police, should you need to.

Jim November 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

So it appears that it’s the stamp and not the scanning of the passport that could trigger the issues if you’ve been to Isreal. Is this correct?

Chris November 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

@Jim – Yes, from what I’ve heard, it’s only the stamp. If anyone else has counter info, let me know…

Alex November 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Don’t want an israeli stamp? Don’t come here. That’s it. Simple as that. You have to make a choice.
Israel is UN member and if some arabic lands theoretically make problems to the travelers with israeli stamps and visas this are their problems. Israel is not co-sponsor of their tourism offices. If they think they got something to offer more than the Holy land can be my guest!
And by the way the time whether arabic countries really made problems to israeli stamps holders had gone. Only Syria is a little problematic but i guess it’s not most popular destination in the world at that time.

Theodora January 17, 2012 at 2:05 am

Hi Alex, What’s the state of play with Lebanon at the moment? Theodora

Brandy December 6, 2011 at 7:12 am

Hi,
I’ve been to Israel twice, both times requesting that they not stamp my passport. No problem there. I crossed over to Jordan from Eilat, Israel, and they stamped my entry and visa on a separate piece of paper (stamps from Israeli/Jordan and Israeli/Egyptian borders are considered proof that you’ve been to Israel). However, now I have a exit stamp from the airport in Amman, Jordan and no entry stamp. I am going to Lebanon in three weeks and I’m worried that this may also be seen as an indication that I’ve been to Israel. Can anyone weigh in?
I don’t want to be deported from Beirut on NYE! Thank you.

a_fan December 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm

You mentioned the passport control at Ben Gurion airport but the picture of stamp above is at Taba border control. I entered Israel from Taba 2 weeks ago and I think that I wouldn’t have been allowed into the country without a stamp on my passport. There was someone at the exit checking for the stamp. I also got more questions because I have a Kazakhstan visa on my passport.

Sarah December 16, 2011 at 4:04 am

Hi,

I’m currently in a situation that worries me a little. I arrived to Israel the beginning of November and also asked for the stamp on a extra piece of paper, which was given to me without any further problems. But then once I exited to the bagagge claim, there was a security officer standing there, taking the extra sheets with the stamp away from everybody. So now I don’t have a stamp in my passport nor on a extra sheet and I’m leaving next week. Will this cause any problems? I mean they should have a record of when I entered the country when they scan my passport?

Chris December 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

Sarah – That’s what happened to me too. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. When I went through on the way back, they asked why I didn’t have a stamp and asked if I had a different passport. I said no, and they let me through.

cherry December 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

I’m so glad to find this blog. Me and my husband’s dream is to go to Holy Land but we cannot. We are currently living and working in UAE and as per what we heard if the immigration saw Israel stamp in our passport, they will not allow us to enter UAE again. In this case, Israel will be a retirement dream. We will just go there if we are certain not to come back to UAE or any other Arab country.
But upon reading all the post here this helps me a lot to decide weather to go there early while we’re still young and able to walk a lot and explore the country. Thanks.

Chris December 21, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Cherry – It’s fairly standard procedure for people not to get stamped. So I’m sure you’ll be OK. Some people who absolutely can’t risk getting their passport stamped can get two passports. So you might want to look into that. Visiting Israel is definitely worth it.

Ticanet February 4, 2012 at 4:19 am

Please explain to me, this stamp is a ban? I want to go again in Israel but not sure if I can pass this stamp.

Chris February 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

Ticanet – The stamp isn’t necessarily a ban. What happens is that some Islamic countries frown upon having an Israeli stamp in your passport, to the point where you could be hassled at the border.

Fadi February 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I am Syrian and I recently got married to a Palestinian born in Israel. We were hoping to travel to Syria this summer. Her passport states that her country of birth is Israel. Will this restrict entry to Syria? If so, is there a solution to this problem? Thank you for your help.

Stephanie February 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hi,
I live in Australia and am travelling to Israel for a archaeology dig, then on to England and the rest of the uk. I was going to travel on a British passport but then learned that with the Israeli stamp I wouldn’t be able to enter England. I was wondering if this would be the same on an Australian passport. I don’t want any trouble at airports because I’ll be travelling alone and it’s the first one I have done so.

Jeff March 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

Just traveled to Israel from Jordan border on King Hussein/Allenby Bridge. My companion asked to not get a stamp in the passport, but the girl at the immigration counter would have none of it. She demanded to know why, then said that if we travel to Israel, we must get a stamp in the passport, and promptly stamped it. She was pretty scary. So I guess it depends on who you make the request to and what kind of mood they’re in that day.

Chris March 27, 2012 at 11:36 am

Jeff – Thanks for the update.

mohammad June 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hello,

I am an Indian. works in Qatar.I wish to visit Holy land Israil/Palastine . I am not so sure about emigration problem I will have here in Doha if I have Israily stamp on my passport. Well and I am not sure also about Israily officials accepting my request of not stamping into my Passport. any suggestion? I am planning to travel from India and go back to India again then i will travel to Doha from India. Please advice.

Chris June 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Mohammad – From what I’ve seen elsewhere on the web, Qatar doesn’t bother travelers who have Israeli stamps. If anyone has first-hand knowledge of this, please chime in.

Rajiv July 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Dear Readers.

I’ve a planned business visit to Israel in the month of Sep 2012. I’m an Indian citizen and previously worked in Malaysia for nearly 1.5 yrs. I have 2 Malaysian Work Permit Stamps (both expired) on my Passport.

Will it be a problem in applying to Israel Business Visa or any problems once I reach to TLV airport during immigration?

Also, I went through above posts and understood about request for stamping during immigration (Entry/Exit) on separate Paper. Even if I get the Entry/Exit immigration stamps on separate paper, then what about the Israel Business Visa Stamp on my Passport? After seeing only the Israel Business Visa stamp on my passport, can I be denied in countries like Malaysia/Indonesia in future.

How to avoid the above situation? Can we avoid getting the Business Visa stamped on the Passport?

I’m waiting to hear from you as I want to get the information as soon as possible. So that I can plan my trip to Israel.

Thanks for your help.

-Regards,
Rajiv

Sean August 2, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hi Guys,

Living in Dubai and working here. I want to see Jerusalem. I intend to fly to Amman, spend 2 days there, and then go to Israel for 3/4 days before flying back from Amman.

Are there any major holes in this plan? I know I would be up sh*t creek if I got passport stamped but apart from that is it doable?

Sean

Chris August 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

Sean – You should be good. Lots of travelers go between the two countries – and if you’re flying, you shouldn’t have any problems. I’d make sure they stamp a paper instead of your passport, just to be safe.

Anselmo Liwanag August 10, 2012 at 8:27 am

Hi Cris,
I am so thankful, you got this website. After reading all the comments and stories, my wife and me was really relieved with all worries. We are leaving this 19 august to Amman Jordan from Jeddah to proceed by land trip to VISIT the HOLY LAND and back to work on the 27 august here in Jeddah.
We hope that our travel soon will be safe and without hastle, since saudi airport officers will never allow us to enter back the country, if you got proof that you came from ISRAEL.
We will update you about our trip when i will be back from our short HOLY LAND visit.

Andreas Moser August 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I have been to Israel many times, as well as to Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt.
Here are all the tricks on how to do it: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/israeli-passport-stamp/ – All your questions answered.

TEE October 29, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I am a Malaysian and I went to Israel in 2010. It was a dream come true. I asked them not to stamp on my passport and they seem to understand. I love to collect different country stamps on my passport, ESPECIALLY one from Israel. But I am holding a Malaysian passport that has a print, state: “Ban to go to Israel”. I didn’t want to get prosecuted by my government for entering Israel, that’s the only reason why I was reluctant not to have the stamp (the only stamp that I wish to have).

Chris November 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Wow. So Malaysia prohibits its citizens to go? I didn’t know that. Thanks for the information. Maybe it can help someone else in the same situation.

Jhonny November 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Not sure about Canadian, but I hear of lots of people that otevsrayed there visa and had to pay a small fee upon exit. There are some that have been here for years. Supposedly you can go into the airport and renew it, but i dont believe the penalties are so much more than that per month anyways. -25

Katka March 12, 2013 at 10:10 am