Cruising Carnival, Magic-Style: Venice Photo Essay

by Don Faust on May 16, 2011

Photos of Venice, taken before boarding the Carnival Magic on its inaugural cruise.

Photos of Venice

I’ve been on sailboats before. But I had never been on a big cruise ship until a few weeks ago, when I joined the Carnival Magic for its inaugural cruise through Europe. The 9-day cruise through the Mediterranean started in Venice, where I spent several hours exploring the sunken city’s canals and walkways.¬†Here are a few of my favorite photos of Venice:

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Venice Canal

Docked Boat in Venice Canal

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Photos of Venice

Look for more photos and info about the Carnival Magic coming up this week!

This trip was sponsored by Carnival Cruise Lines.

| Partner, Contributor and Photo Editor of the travel site www.caroundtheworld.com, winner of 2010 Lowell Thomas travel writing award.

Cailin May 16, 2011 at 9:24 am

Great photos, I definitely need to visit Venice again! When I was first there it was winter time, I know there are crowds in the summer but I would definitely like to visit when its warmer :)

Don Faust May 16, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thanks Cailin. I wasn’t in Venice very long, so I am definitely going back. We go to Mardi Gras every other year, so maybe we will do Carnival one year in Venice.

Jeff May 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Love the photos! You captured some great colors.

Don Faust May 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Jeff! I love all the old crusty looking stucco homes – makes for some good vibrant photos.

Turkey's For Life May 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Italy is just so photogenic, isn’t it? You’ve made Venice look like the dreamy destination I want it to be when we finally get around to visiting there.
Julia

Don Faust May 17, 2011 at 1:10 am

Julia – I didn’t spend nearly enough time there. If I had been able to spend all day and night in Venice, I would have spent many hours walking. It’s such a cool old-world city.

…and yes, Italy is one of my favorite photography destination so far – Barcelona is up there also.