Cruising Carnival, Magic-Style: Pictures of Sicily (Messina)

by Don Faust on May 31, 2011

Pictures of Messina from my recent port stop in Sicily.

Pictures of Sicily

While cruising on the Carnival Magic a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to walk around the port city of Messina, Sicily for a couple of hours after returning from an excursion to Taormina.  These are a some of my favorite pictures from my short jaunt.

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures from Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

Pictures of Sicily

This trip was sponsored by Carnival Cruise Lines.

| Partner, Contributor and Photo Editor of the travel site www.caroundtheworld.com, winner of 2010 Lowell Thomas travel writing award.

Jenn June 1, 2011 at 2:13 am

Wow…such beautiful pictures!! Must have been a wonderful trip!

Turkey's For Life June 1, 2011 at 4:11 am

I love looking at photos of Italy and these photos have just reminded me why I want to visit Sicily. We were going to go on a day trip from Malta a few years ago and ran out of time. :(
Julia

Angela June 1, 2011 at 5:46 am

So nice, this looks so familiar ;)

Don Faust June 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thanks everyone! I didn’t get to spend much time in Messina, since the majority of my day was spent in Taormina during a tour. However, I did manage to snap some photos – I personally like the grungy stucco buildings – even if they have some graffiti on them.

Sherry June 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Its nice how its so old but still remains beautiful – wall graffiti & cobble stone and all! Great essence of Sicily.

Sophie's World June 2, 2011 at 4:56 am

La bella Sicilia :)

Rick Horner June 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

The Cathedral bell tower/clock with the animation and sounds are amazing. While homeported in Elefsina, Greece, spent about 15 days in Messina, visiting Sicily on our free time. Cathedral became our meeting place in town, as we were walking most of the time except when using trains to Taormina, Catania, et al

Don Faust June 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Rick – unfortunately, I didn’t get to experience what you did with the bell tower, since I was walking a brisk pace to see as much as I could before I had to re-board the ship. Maybe next time – thanks for the tip.

Cailin June 18, 2011 at 8:31 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Taromina! And go on a cruise! haha :) live the photos!

Don Faust June 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Cailin – Taormina was pretty cool. I wish we had more time to spend there. I love all of the walled cities.