Photo Friday: Costa Rica Zip Line Photo

by Don Faust on August 12, 2011

Photo of zip line canopy tour near Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica.

Costa Rica Zip Line Photo

This week’s Photo Friday (#FriFotos on Twitter) theme is UP IN THE AIR.  In late October 2010, Chris and I traveled to the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica, staying mostly around Puerto Viejo and Cahuita.  During our stay, we had a chance to do a zip line tour of the Costa Rican canopy, as you can see in the picture above.  There were 20+ zip line runs, some running as high as 250 feet above the forest floor.

| Partner, Contributor and Photo Editor of the travel site www.caroundtheworld.com, winner of 2010 Lowell Thomas travel writing award.

jade August 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

LOVE ziplining… I was a bit terrified the first time I did it, but now I’m hooked!

Don Faust August 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Jade – it was a lot of fun. On the shorter runs, I was concentrating too much on where my end point was, since we did the braking ourselves with a hand glove, but on the longest run, I just let it go, and looked down and all around.

Sherry August 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Is that you on the zip line, Don? I always see people doing it in videos and photos, and it all looks very fun. I just fear that it would hurt hoisted up like that. I’d still like to try it though. Costa Rica seems to have a lot more of them than other countries.

Don Faust August 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Sherry – that’s me on the line.

I promise I was not wearing white stockings – haha. The sun must have been very harsh at this moment when the photo was taken, and my legs became sun reflectors.

Being hoisted is not an issue. Basically, you are wearing a very solid waist harness, which you step into with both legs – kind of like those little kiddie swing set seats.

However, I have seen pictures of other zip lines – most recently from Alaska. This one is a bit more primative in that you have to break with a big leather glove, like a catcher’s mit (without the fingers) – it wasn’t a problem. The regulations in the US are probably stiffer, because the AK zip line had a TWO-cable, two pulley system – so if for some odd reason, a cable breaks or lets loose, you still have another one. I felt pretty safe though.

Sherry August 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

You shouldn’t have mentioned the socks, since I never would’ve realized before then that you were “glowing” below the waist :) Well now I’m really more motivated to try the zip line! It does seem safe. I never really thought it would be unsafe, it just looks so uncomfortable. But I guess there is a downfall to everything. So comforting to know, however, that there are places with double lines.

Don Faust August 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Sherry – we were in the Tongass rain forest area just last week in Ketchikan, almost at the southern-most tip of the AK panhandle.

Here is a link to one of the zip line operators – they have a video on their home page, which shows the two-cable set-up. I would love to do this – this forest is unbelievable.

Jenn August 13, 2011 at 12:01 am

I want to try ziplining. I may not feel safe unless I had 2 cables but you know…I’d love to do it!

Don Faust August 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Jenn – almost every search I did for US-based zip lines appear to have two cables. I can’t be positive, but it’s probably a regulation.

Maria August 13, 2011 at 7:15 am

I ADORE zip lines. Even got stuck once in the MIDDLE of one, took 20 min to ‘rescue’ me but love them none the less – hey, when you’re dangling a hundred feet above the ground it gives you a very interesting perspective you wouldn’t get otherwise. I was the only one who saw the rabbits that day :-)

Don Faust August 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

Maria – did you brake too early? That happened to a few people on our runs, but they were fairly close the end, so they pulled themselves to the next landing.

Abby August 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

I lived in Costa Rica for a year and loved Puerto Viejo/Cahuita. My own zip line photos have a special place in my heart — the neighborhood thief broke into my house and stole my computer and, oh, so much more. But the next day I ran into him at the grocery store — wearing my women’s Nikes!! The police told me there was no way to prove those were my shoes. Enter: my Facebook photos of me zip-lining. Next week, I’m going zip-lining in Boulder City, Nevada. Can’t wait!

Don Faust August 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Abby – yes, we really liked Puerto Viejo and Cahuita. Cahuita was a little sleepy town, but it was very cool. Seemed like there were a lot of surfers around Puerto Viejo.

Angela August 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

I’ve never done it! Looks a lot of fun, I’d love to try it out :)

Don Faust August 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Angela – go for it. The thought of it seems safer to me that trying a bungee jump. I least when I am taking off, I know I securely attached.

I want to try zip-lining the redwoods in California or the rainforest in southwest Alaska next.

Kevin Martineau August 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Hi Don:

I have never tried ziplining but I would love to try it. I can imagine doing it in a exotic area makes it that much more memorable. :)

Kevin

Don Faust August 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Kevin – give it a shot – it’s a lot of fun. After I got rid of the initial butterflies, it didn’t bother me anymore.

CJ October 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

There is a 140 feet high waterfall in Honduras where you can do ziplining very near to the top of the waterfall. If you ever visit Honduras someday you should go there and try it. The name of the waterfall is Pulhapanzak. It´s kind of scary though, but many people do it