Photo Friday: Turks and Caicos Luxury

by Don Faust on September 9, 2011

Turks and Caicos beaches are among the best in the world, with the most perfect fine white sand and the clearest water.

Turks and Caicos Luxury

Today’s Photo Friday (#FriFotos on Twitter) theme is LUXURY.   In January 2009, Chris and I traveled to the Turks and Caicos island of Providenciales, a much needed break from the cold weather on the US East Coast.

When we arrived, I realized that for $350 per night accommodations, we were in the Provo slums. Not exactly, but we didn’t have a beach front room, most of which cost a minimum of $700 to a few grand per night.  However, our room was a very minor issue, as the beaches were the attraction and the definition of luxury – fine white sand beaches, clear aquamarine water, and loungers and day beds in front of many of the hotels.

| Partner, Contributor and Photo Editor of the travel site www.caroundtheworld.com, winner of 2010 Lowell Thomas travel writing award.

Gene September 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

Nice slums.. :)

RumShopRyan September 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

The the TCI! Beautiful photo, thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Cailin September 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

LOOK HOW BLUE THAT WATER IS!!!
I’ve always wanted to visit Turks! I could spend a few days on that beach thats for sure ;)

jenjenk September 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm

wow…tough views on the eyes. ;) gorgeous!

Caz Makepeace September 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Wow. that beach has my name all over it

Salena of The Daily Rant September 19, 2011 at 12:06 am

I was just here for two weeks in August. In fact, the island was locked down for Hurricane Irene.

I’d say Provo slums is pretty accurate. Most of the island is run-down and very poor looking. Although I’ve never been to a third world country, the airport looks like it belongs in one.

We stayed in a great place – actually right behind this photo of the Grace Bay Club – Villa del Mar. It was beautiful, inexpensive and a two-minute walk to the beach.

We did a lot of snorkeling, which was great and definitely got a good tan, but the prices on the island were insane, from the restaurants to the grocery store. I’m not one to skimp on a meal, as we dine out frequently, but I think $190 for two is a little pricey when all I’m getting is seafood.

We planned on going for a month, but I’m glad we didn’t since I don’t really think there was enough to do during that time. If all you’re interested in is lying on the beach, then this is your place. The water is gorgeous and the sand is beautiful and soft. But if you want more to see or do, you won’t find it.

Here are my posts regarding our time on the island: http://www.salenalettera.com/search/label/Turks%20and%20Caicos

Market.Travel September 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

Very interesting place.. I love uncrowded beaches I think i can relax in the unique serenity, hospitality and beauty of this islands. My friend told me Traveling in Turks and Caicos is easy and efficient. Just a short flight from the east coast of the US, and he also told me that this islands are a tropical classic, a throwback in time where relaxation is unavoidable and rejuvenation ensured. anyways thanks for sharing ^_^