Photo Friday: German Chocolate Sculpture

by Chris on March 9, 2012

This week’s travel photo: A chocolate sculpture from the famous German chocolate shop, Fassbender & Rausch, in Berlin.

This is the latest of our weekly travel photo series, inspired by #FriFotos on Twitter.

German chocolate sculpture

This week’s #FriFotos theme is CHOCOLATE. Don shot this chocolate sculpture of the Brandenburg Gate when we were in Berlin in 2010. We were walking down the Charlottestrasse near our hotel, the Sofitel, when we came across chocolate nirvana. Fassbender & Rausch. Turns out it’s the largest chocolate shop in the world, with a restaurant that specializes in cocoa-based dishes, and rows upon rows of chocolate delicacies. The store was mobbed with tourists, but if you love chocolate, you’re going to want to make a pilgrimage.

Want travel updates in real time? Like Chris Around The World on Facebook.

Lane March 9, 2012 at 9:05 am

I confess. I licked my computer screen.

Andrew March 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

Amazing detail in it. Although I am always amazed when people can make such things in edible media, it seems a shame not to eat it. Like half the enjoyment is gone if you just keep it preserved.

Don Faust March 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

Andrew – the details looks even better live. Obviously, just one of the showpieces for the chocolate shop – there was a big “DO NOT TOUCH” in about 3 languages in front of it.

Alexa Meisler March 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

Wow. I wanna eat it but at the same time I don’t. This is a weird and tempting feeling but good job on taking a great photo and making me want chocolate now.

cailin March 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

oooohh I made a special trip just to find that place when I was in Berlin in November! It was crazy everything they had made in chocolate, a chocolate lava volano and the tv tower. I wanted to eat it all! haha

Kae Lani | A Travel Broad March 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

So monumentally delicious!

Nate @yomadic March 18, 2012 at 9:19 am

WOW. I have visited Berlin, and didn’t know about this place! Well, now I have a great excuse to head back!