Bedding Down: An Included Powerstrip for Tech-y Guests

by Chris on April 18, 2012

Something I’d like to see more of: Powestrips for tech-y couples, included with your hotel room.

This post is part of my recurring series of hotel trends I’ve seen on the road:

Powerstrip

One of the biggest problems I’ve had in recent years is being able to charge all of the electronic devices that I bring on trips. Between the iPad, the iPhone, one of my cameras and a laptop, the outlets become overloaded quickly. And if my husband comes along, essentially doubling our power needs? Forget it.

When we travel domestically, we’ve started carrying a small powerstrip with us so we can triple our outlet capacity. Our model also has two USB ports, which also frees up some plugs. We’ve had some problems using the three-prong system overseas, however, as the sheer weight of the powerstrip is too heavy for our adapters, particularly in older European hotels. It’s gotten to the point where I’ve investigated buying international power strips, especially for longer trips.

That’s why I was so pleased to see that The Aubrey, a boutique hotel in Santiago, recognized the problem that tech-laden guests like me face. They made a powerstrip available in the room, right next to the hair dryer in the closet. It came with one international adapter already attached, so I only had to use one of my own.An included powerstrip also means that I didn’t have to scrounge around looking for different plugs.

Here’s hoping that more hotels, both international and domestic, start providing powerstrips to tech-y guests.

D.J. - The World of Deej April 18, 2012 at 5:57 am

Great amenity. I’m finding that more hotels as they update their TV/Internet are including power stations on the desk or TV stand. I read a while back that the average traveler carries 3 electronic devices…we gotta charge them somewhere!

space coast health institute April 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

I think this is a wonderful idea, I know that I am limited to my laptop and phone most of the time and that is after unplugging the alarm clock (I have the front desk call me and i also use my cellphone as an alarm, so there is no need to have theirs plugged in!) but I do have other devices that need to be charged (Ipad, and camera) I am happy to see that they supply a power strip (a cool looking one at that!) I hope all hotels do this soon!

Lane April 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

We learned from experience: If you use an overseas adapter with your power strip, you can (and will) fry your electronic goodies.

Alexa Meisler April 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Funny how a small such as an outlet can make a huge difference for your trip. Sometimes it really does feel empty and I find myself upset when my laptop or ipod is out of battery let alone my cell phone. Electronics are really a necessity nowadays.

Gorilla Safaris Uganda April 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

I used to travel a lot in my former job and i had to buy socket plugs in the different places i went to, i still have several at house and home. Good that the hotel does that. Good precedent for other hotels to follow…

Laura @Travelocafe April 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

That’s sounds like a great idea. These days most travelers need to charge their gadgets, not only the travel bloggers.